Investing in Change
The statistics only tell part of the story, but they tell it compellingly:
- In New York, more than one out of five families with children under 18 live at or below the federal poverty level.
- Today in New York, over 9,000 families with over 18,000 children live in the city's shelter system.
- Over 1.5 million New Yorkers under 16 years of age or older are out of school without a high school diploma.
- Undocumented residents are three times more likely than citizens to lack health insurance and are less likely to seek medical care, including emergency care.
- Between 11% and 35% of homeless or runaway youth are LGBT.
North Star Fund gets dollars to the community level, where the people behind the statistics are living. And because they're living the problems, they have indispensable knowledge about what's needed to fix them.
North Star Fund knows that when grassroots activist groups are provided with money and resources, no matter how small, they invest in generating long-lasting change--change that expands opportunity, that enlivens our democracy, and that creates a more vibrant, prosperous city for us all.
North Star Fund finds and invests in new talent and grassroots leadership to ensure the participation in our democracy of people directly affected by injustice. We fund groups who are organizing, educating and dealing with tough and complex issues. We fund groups who challenge root causes and come up with effective grassroots solutions to discrimination against immigrants, the well-being of people living with HIV/AIDS, reproductive rights, workers' rights, peace and anti-militarism, civil rights, environmental justice, housing and homelessness--to name a few.
North Star Fund grants cover the fundamentals of organizing: trainings, meetings, phone bills, websites, printing, salaries and office rent. And they get technical assistance and training on subjects such as working with the media, lobbying elected officials, and building sustainable organizations.
With your donation to North Star Fund you join a community of philanthropic activists working together to move significant resources for community organizing and grassroots activism in New York City.
You can put your money to work right away by donating online, or by mailing us your contribution. Our page on Ways to Give has information on how to turn your assets or securities into resources for a community-led movement.
Mail a contribution
Send a check to:
North Star Fund
520 Eighth Avenue, Suite 2203
New York, NY 10018-6656
The North Star Fund is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit public charity. Contributions are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law.