Queer Consciousness Fund
Apply for a Grant from the Queer Consciousness Fund
The Queer Consciousness Fund is not currently accepting applications. The next deadline will be in fall 2012.
About the Queer Consciousness Fund
The Queer Consciousness Funding Circle supports organizations who provide healing and empowerment to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer and Questioning (LGBTIQQ) communities in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania. Through the Queer Consciousness Fund, the Circle funds programs and curriculum focused on the advancement of psychological, spiritual and physical healing aimed at:
- Transforming individuals and communities through conscious dialogue and innovative practices (i.e. individual therapy and support groups, outdoor environmental healing, arts and cultural programs, and other queer affirming activities);
- Confronting the shame, disgust and contempt that a heterosexist paradigm creates for LGBTIQQ communities through innovative programs and approaches;
- Reversing the understandable but destructive patterns of LGBTIQQ people who deal with their oppression by turning to alcohol and/or drug abuse, sexual compulsive behavior and other forms of self harm or community violence;
- Creating a connection among LGBTIQQ people to build a greater sense of community by overcoming and preventing destructive isolation.
Diversity, Innovation, Collaboration, Conscious Action, Respect, Love and Understanding.
- To support existing work that is innovative, while challenging organizations to "think outside the box" by imagining what they might accomplish with funding from our group.
- To work with compatible, like-minded donor colleagues to bring significant resources to the Queer Consciousness Disciplines through a well-organized process that deploys donor and applicant resources as efficiently as possible.
- To team with activists and foundation staff to support but also learn about the work that Queer service providers, organizers and activists are undertaking to advance the field of "Queer Consciousness", and to ensure that the Queer Consciousness Funding Circle makes the most impactful grants where they are most needed.
- To fund existing and newly formed organizations who integrate a spiritual approach to their psychological and physical healing work.
Become a Donor to the Queer Consciousness Fund
The Queer Consciousness Fund (QCF) invites interested individuals or foundations to consider joining our group, either for a one time grant commitment (payable over three to five years) or for more grants over several cycles. Minimum grants are for $10,000 given as a one-time fund contribution plus QCF and community collaborator expenses. Donor participants are responsible for their travel and related expenses.
The current donors ask the following of prospective full donor-participants:
- Only one committee participant per donor will participate in each grant cycle (unless the donor is a couple who agrees to decide and vote together).
- Donors must be willing to participate in a group process of decision-making about where the pooled money will go and be willing to let go of their individual wishes to abide by the group's wisdom.
- Each donor will sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with QCF for his or her portion of the projected foundation and related expenses at the beginning of the cycle and will finalize a binding Pledge Agreement with QCF for the actual grants.
- Each participant should be aware of his or her own issues relating to gender, class, race and transgender issues that may arise among the grants committee members or in evaluating applicants. Should conflict arise, the donor agrees to respectfully discuss the issues raised.
- Pledges of support are given in May with actual contributions made December 1st as the final decisions are made for Consciousness Fund grants.
Note: The Queer Consciousness Fund was formerly called the Queer Wellness Fund.
For more information about becoming a donor, contact us at (212) 620-9110 or QCF@northstarfund.org.