Check Your Eligibility
As of April 2, 2018 both our New York City and Hudson Valley grantmaking committees are considering current applications and we are not accepting grant applications at this time. You can use the questions below to determine if you will be eligible for a grant when we announce our next cycle.
- Are you actively working to create progressive social change, for example: ensuring economic justice, ending structural racism or other discrimination, protecting civil liberties, and/or promoting safe and liveable communities?
- Is your work conducted in one of the five boroughs of New York City, or in Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Orange, Dutchess, Ulster, Sullivan, Columbia, Greene, Delaware, Rensselaer, Albany and Schoharie counties? Grantees must be located either in NYC or within at least one of these counties, but do not need to work in all the listed locations.
- Do you have 501(c)(3) status or a fiscal sponsor with 501(c)(3) status?
- Does your organization have a significantly large “base,” or group of people involved in your work (depending on your issue and constituency)?
- Is your organization democratically structured and accountable to people directly impacted by the injustice you’re seeking to change?
- Has it been at least eight months since you received a North Star Fund grant? (except Rapid Response and Donor Advised grants)
Although we value the work, we do not consider:
- Direct service organizations, i.e. food pantries, soup kitchens
- Individual efforts
- Private or public schools, colleges, and universities
- Hospitals and clinics
- Statewide, national, or international organizations
- Travel expenses for individual speakers or conference participants
- Activities to elect specific candidates for public office
- Fundraising events such as galas and walk-a-thons
- Feasibility studies, capital fund drives
- Organizations that do not comply with federal, state, or local equal opportunity statutes
Still have questions?
If you are in NYC, reach out to our NYC Program Officer Catherine Eusebio at email@example.com.
If you are in the Hudson Valley, email Hudson Valley Program Officer Mayra Hidalgo Salazar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or sign up to get our email newsletter: