In addition to funding, North Star Fund provides skills development through workshops in grassroots fundraising, board development, volunteer management, communications strategy and more. We pool resources with a collaborative of other funders—including New York Foundation, New York Women’s Foundation, Daphne Foundation, Korean American Community Foundation, Mertz Gilmore Foundation, Scherman Foundation, Stonewall Community Foundation, the NYC Fund for Girls and Young Women of Color, Brooklyn Community Foundation—to provide the highest quality resources and workshops to our grantees.
- Advocating at City Hall
- Advocacy Institute (This in-depth training on how to make change at City Hall and in Albany is supported by North Star Fund and requires a subscription from grantees.)
- Affordable Housing, Zoning, and the UULURP Process
- Effective Community Organizing
- Employment Law
- Financial Management
- Grassroots Fundraising
- Legislative Advocacy
- Managing People
- Strategic Communications
- Succession Planning
If you are a current grantee and there are topics that the workshops do not cover that would be helpful to your work, please let us know.
Download Report Forms
If you are a current grantee and need to download a copy of our report form to fill out, please use the following links to download Word Documents:
- Regular Follow Up Report Form (for Grassroots Action Grants, Movement Leadership Grants, and Innovative Activism Grants)
- Donor Advised and Rapid Response Follow Up Report Form
If you are unsure which report form to use, contact Catherine Eusebio, Program Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (212) 620-9110.
- Arts and Social Change Funders Directory from Americans for the Arts
- How Unions and 501c3 Organizations Can Maximize Their Power to Make Policy Change – a publication by Alliance for Justice on frequently asked questions and misconceptions about lobbying and advocacy for nonprofits