Para información en español, por favor llame a la oficina: 212-620-9110.
Purpose of These Grants
It’s our mission to make it easier for current grantees to re-apply for general operating support and share the latest update. Our renewal application is also an opportunity for current grantees to share feedback with us.
For renewing Grassroots Action grantees: While North Star Fund’s traditional grant period is 12 months, this fall, we are providing renewing grantees the option of requesting a grant over an 18-month period. Grantees who receive this 18-month grant could then apply for the next renewal in February 2020, rather than September 2019.
Why might you opt for an 18-month grant? In addition to an extended deadline, organizations would receive a larger grant upfront.
Not all organizations that request an 18-month grant will be awarded one. Please indicate in your application if you are interested in being considered for an 18-month grant.
$5,000, $10,000, $15,000, or $20,000
The Community Funding Committee determines how much to award based on the organization’s fit within our funding criteria and priorities. There is no need to apply for a specific amount when you submit your application.
Last year, nearly all Grassroots Action Grants were $10,000 awards. Catalyst grants are $5,000 and $10,000.
- Is led by the people most directly impacted by the issues the organization works on, and those members have clear decision-making power
- Brings people together and develops the leadership capacity of the people they work with
- Works to identify, articulate and address the root causes of the problems they work on, not just the symptoms
- Creates systemic change through “campaigns,” a planned series of events or activities that alter unjust power relationships
- Has a strong vision for social justice and is committed to working towards a larger movement
Strong preference will be given to organizations that:
- Have less access to foundation funders, capacity building or training opportunities
- Lack “back office” administrative and/or fundraising support from a host organization or fiscal sponsor
Still have questions? We explain these criteria in more detail here.
Renewal Grant Eligibility
North Star Fund will consider applications from:
- Organizations whose last Catalyst or Grassroots Action Grant was received in Fall 2017, Spring 2017, or Fall 2016
- Organizations that received a Movement Leadership Grant in Fall 2016
- Past grantees returning after a one-year funding break, provided that they have secured funding sources in addition to North Star Fund
Renewal Application Process
- Fill out your application on Submittable. Please be sure to attach your proposal narrative (2-5 pages) and your follow-up report (2-3 pages) from the previous year’s grant. Note: you may submit materials created for other funders, including follow-up reports, provided that they pertain to your organizing work.
- Please indicate your preferred site visit dates and times and hold them on your calendar. Only a select number of renewal grantees will be asked to meet for a site visit. Due to capacity limitations, the majority of renewal grantees will be evaluated based on the application. All applicants will be contacted with more information during the week of October 29-November 2.
- Renewal grant awards will be announced about three months after the application deadline.
Frequently Asked Questions
Get your questions answered on our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page.
How to Apply
Our goal is to make our application process as easy as possible. Here are some tips that may help you submit your online application
1. Gather information and documents. On our online application portal, you’ll be asked to share:
- Overview of demographic information of your members and leaders (e.g. total vs. active members, race, class, gender, class make-up)
- Financial information, including your operating budget, salaries of key staff members, and foundation/significant support for the current and most recent fiscal year
- Organizing projects of direct service or legal service providers or other larger entities will be asked to describe the nature of the relationship, including the extent of “back office” administrative and fundraising support
- Your organization’s meeting availabilities for site visits (Read more about site visits in our FAQ)
- Your 501(c)(3) letter or your fiscal sponsor’s 501(c)(3) letter and fiscal sponsorship agreement
3. Write proposal narrative (3-5 pages). You will be asked to describe your vision, campaign strategy, member leadership, and decision-making structures. Please note that we will accept proposal narratives submitted to other funders, best suited if such proposal pertains to community organizing.
4. Begin your application online via the Submittable website.
5. Upload your proposal narrative and 501(c)(3) letter/fiscal sponsor agreement to your Submittable application
6. Submit your application on the Submittable website. Once your application is submitted, you will receive an automatic receipt. Your application is not considered complete until you receive a confirmation email from our program staff. You will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours.
Still have questions? Contact our Program Officer Catherine Eusebio at (212) 620-9110 or firstname.lastname@example.org.