- Apr 21, 2017
- 9:30 AM - 2:00 PM
- New York Foundation, 10 E. 34th Street, 10th Floor, between Fifth Avenue and Madison, Manhattan (Map)
- Type of Event:
- Technical Assistance
- Event Audience
Working in coalition makes nonprofits’ advocacy stronger. It can also raise significant legal issues. Advocacy coalitions in particular need to be aware of how lobbying and political activity restrictions and disclosure requirements affect individual members and the coalition itself. Coalition members can also incur legal responsibility for staff working on coalition issues. Conflicts can arise around who owns jointly created materials, conflicts of interest, confidentiality, fundraising, office occupancy, and more. This workshop will give you a working knowledge of the legal issues that coalitions and their members should consider and strategies for handling those issues.
Sean Delany and Laura Abel of Lawyers Alliance for New York will conduct the seminar.
- Why conduct advocacy through coalitions?
- What are the different legal vehicles for structuring a coalition?
- What are the lobbying compliance obligations of the coalition and its members?
- When might lobbying or political activity by some members be attributed to others?
- What protocols should coalitions have in place regarding data sharing and confidentiality, conflicts of interest, ownership of jointly created materials and more?
- When does a coalition become a joint employer?
- What legal obligations are raised by fundraising for the coalition’s work?
- What limitations might affect the location where the coalition will conduct its activities?
Who Should Attend: Nonprofit board members and managers.
For more information: Contact Laura Abel, (212) 219-1800 x283 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Space in this workshop is limited. It will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no fee for you to attend the workshop, due to the support of the Mertz Gilmore Foundation and New York Foundation, but you must be registered to attend. One or more representatives from each organization are invited to attend.