Join the People Power Giving Project
Do you want to learn more about exciting grassroots-led organizing in New York City? Better yet, do you want to do something to directly support this work, and strengthen your own leadership in the process?
At North Star Fund, we believe in our collective power to transform New York by supporting grassroots organizing led by impacted communities. Our Giving Projects bring together New Yorkers from a wide range of backgrounds to share stories and develop a common analysis of how systemic oppression impacts our lives and intentions.
From there, Giving Project members learn about grassroots fundraising and grantmaking through a collective power lens. We then collaborate to raise money that we distribute directly to activists working on some of the toughest challenges facing our city–from protecting affordable housing to building education equity.
Last year, our Giving Project raised over $210,000 from more than 300 friends, family and neighbors! Members reviewed applications from 30 groups, led site visits and made 15 awards to groups working across New York City. Check out the exciting work they supported!
We are currently running our 2018-2019 People Power Giving Project, which will end in March. If you are interested in participating in a giving project in the future, please complete our Giving Project Interest Form and we’ll be in touch.
How does the Giving Project work?
The Giving Project is a six-month process that requires a commitment of your time, talent and resources.
- You’ll join a cross-class, multiracial group of 15-20 individuals and meet together eight times over the course of six months.
- Through workshops and trainings, the group develops a shared understanding of race, class and power within society.
- Each person makes a financial gift—any amount that is personally meaningful.
- Each person commits to fundraising from their friends, family, and community to support the grants that you’ll make together. North Star Fund staff provide training and support in grassroots fundraising.
- Each member is trained in North Star Fund’s participatory grantmaking process. Giving Project members will read funding proposals, participate in site visits, make collective decisions, and grant money to some of the most inspiring, effective social change work in the five boroughs.
Who should join?
Is the People Power Giving Project a good fit for you?
- If you were inspired to get more involved after attending the North Star Fund Community Gala or another program, People Power is for you.
- Are you a member of the North Star Fund community who wants to get more involved, including current or former donors, grantees, Community Funding Committee members, peers in philanthropy, partners in social justice work and board members, People Power is for you!
- People Power will be a multiracial, cross-class cohort. It is incredibly important for us to build our work within a group that can talk across the differences that shape our lived experiences. LGBTQ-identified people, people of color and working class people are especially encouraged to participate.
All participants must be able to commit to the six-month process. We meet in the evening or on the weekend, and always provide something delicious to eat!
Complete the Giving Project Interest Form and we will follow up with you.
More questions? Check out our detailed People Power Giving Project FAQ.
2018-2019 Program Dates
All sessions will take place at the North Star Fund office unless otherwise noted.
- Introduction: Sunday, September 30, 10am – 4pm
- Race & Class Analysis Workshop: Saturday, October 13 & Sunday, October 14, 10am – 5pm
- Fundraising & Grantmaking Training Part 1: Sunday, November 11, 10am – 4pm
- Grantee Panel: Wednesday, November 14, 7pm – 9pm LOCATION TBD
- Fundraising & Grantmaking Training Part 2: Sunday, December 2, 10am – 4pm
- Screening Day: Sunday, January 13, 10am – 5pm
- Decision Day: Sunday, February 24, 10am – 5pm
- Wrap-up & Celebration: Tuesday, March 19, 6:30pm – 9:30pm