Building Resilient Communities Grants
The current political climate means that communities are under attack every day. For grassroots groups led by immigrants, women, people of color, Muslims, LGBTQ communities, and those at the intersections, each repressive policy and incident of hate violence brings more need to respond.
At the same time, people who have never been involved before are taking action. There’s a new openness to messages of racial and economic justice and an opportunity to build our movements for social justice across silos and lines of difference.
Because we believe our community of grassroots grantees need more support in this moment, we’ve created a new grant category—Building Resilient Communities grants—with funds raised by our donors who want to do more in these challenging times.
Building Resilient Communities grants provide one-time grants of $10,000 to current grantees that are engaged in defending communities pushed to the margins and experimenting with new ways to build a broader movement for social justice.
Building Resilient Communities Priorities
Your grant will support you to do at least one of these three things:
- Broaden the Base: Bring in newly active members of your constituency and/or new allies or coalition partners;
- Change the Conversation: Promote a progressive vision of justice creatively and strategically, capturing members’ and the public’s imagination;
- Confront Power: Explore new ways to respond to attacks from Washington to broaden community power in New York and beyond.
Your organization must meet all three of these criteria:
- Current North Star Fund grantees (organizations that since May 2016 have received a Catalyst, Grassroots Action, Movement Leadership, Innovative Activism, or Let Us Breathe grant);
- Organizations led by communities targeted in this political moment;
- Organizations trying new strategies or building work around changing institutional policies/procedures, culture/public perception, and/or conditions at the local level.
Decision Making and Timeline
Decisions about Building Resilient Communities grants will be made by members of our Resilient Communities Giving Project, a six-month program bringing together a cross-class, multi-racial group of people to learn about social justice movements, fundraising, and strategic grantmaking.
How to Apply
Building Resilient Communities grants are limited to current grantees. Applications from new organizations will not be accepted in this category. We strongly encourage interested applicants to view our How to Apply webinar. Click here to download a PDF of the How to Apply Webinar slides. Click here to listen to a recording of the webinar.
All applications must be submitted through North Star Fund’s online application. The deadline to apply is Friday, December 1, 2017 at 5:00 pm.
Grants will be awarded in February 2018. These grants will have a separate application, timeline, potential for a site visit, and process from other North Star Fund grants.