Check Your Eligibility
If you answer "Yes" to all of the questions below, you are eligible for a grant from North Star Fund.
Please read the renewal guidelines at the bottom of this page if you are a returning grantee.
- Are you actively working to create progressive social change, for example: ensuring economic justice, ending structural racism or other discrimination, protecting civil liberties, and/or promoting safe and liveable communities?
- Is your work conducted in the five boroughs of New York City?
- Do you have 501(c)(3) status or a fiscal sponsor with 501(c)(3) status?
- Does your organization have a significantly large "base," or group of people involved in your work (depending on your issue and constituency)?
- Is your organization democratically structured and accountable to people directly impacted by the injustice you're seeking to change?
- Has it been at least 8 months since you received a North Star Fund grant (except Rapid Response and Donor Advised grants)?
Although we value the work, we do not consider:
- Direct service organizations, i.e. food pantries, soup kitchens
- Individual efforts
- Private or public schools, colleges, and universities
- Hospitals and clinics
- Statewide, national, or international organizations
- Travel expenses for individual speakers or conference participants
- Activities to elect specific candidates for public office
- Fundraising events such as galas and walk-a-thons
- Feasibility studies, capital fund drives
- Organizations that do not comply with federal, state, or local equal opportunity statutes
North Star Fund welcomes renewal applications from current grantees for up to six years in any grant category. After this time, the group must take a one-year break before they can reapply for funds. They are then eligible for another six years of funding in that category. A group switching categories does not need to take a one-year break.
In order to be eligible for renewal funds:
- All renewal applications must continue to meet all eligibility guidelines;
- After the initial 6 years of funding, groups must have secured funding sources in addition to North Star Fund.
For more information about the specific eligibility guidelines for each grant category, read more about each categories on our Apply for a Grant section. If you have specific questions about your eligibility, please contact us at 212-620-9110.