Grassroots Action Grants
Purpose of grants: Grassroots Actions grants provide general operating support to grassroots organizations that respond to pressing problems in their local neighborhoods and throughout New York City. Grassroots Action grants are steeped in North Star Fund’s radical grantmaking tradition of shifting the power dynamics of philanthropy. These grants support grassroots activists who are going beyond band-aid solutions to address the root causes of injustice.
Grant Amounts: $10,000, $15,000, or $20,000
Our Investment: Our Grassroots Action grantees may receive up to six years of funding. Our grants are structured as one-year grants, with a report and renewal process each year. Alongside our grants, we support our grantees’ capacity building goals by providing technical assistance workshops and leadership trainings, and offer the tools and resources that will allow them to reach their full potential.
Eligible Groups: North Star Fund will consider applications from groups:
- with budgets under $800,000;
- with a record of success in their community organizing work;
- led by directly impacted people, particularly those who are: low-income; people of color, immigrants and/or multi-racial; women, trans, gender nonconforming, and/or queer; youth; working class; disabled; and long-time residents.
Strong preference will be given to organizations that:
- Lack access to philanthropy, funding, and capacity building/training opportunities;
- Are neighborhood-based and/or organizing residents on a citywide level;
- Are engaged in campaigns that win change through legislative advocacy, shifts in culture/public perception, and/or concrete changes in conditions at the local level;
- Have a demonstrated leadership development strategy, and solid vision for sustaining community members’ involvement;
- Have a strong social justice vision for their organizing efforts that is grounded in their understanding of root causes of oppression.
How to Apply
Due to the competitive nature of our grants and limited funding available for new groups in this grant category, our Spring 2017 grants will be temporarily limited to current grantees seeking renewal funding. Applications from new organizations will not be accepted at this time.
All renewal applications must be submitted through North Star Fund's online application. The deadline to apply is Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. Renewal applications will be available to submit beginning in January 2017.