Rapid Response Grants
Purpose of grants: To support organizing and activism responding to urgent threats or breaking opportunities for needs that could not have otherwise been anticipated. This grant is designed to support successful applicants to achieve a specific outcome within 3-6 months. Organizations may receive only one rapid response grant per year.
Grant Amounts: Up to $5,000 for immediate actions.
Eligible Groups: North Star Fund will consider applications from organizations that meet all of the following requirements:
- The organization has a budget under $800,000.
- The organization is led by directly impacted people, particularly those who are: low-income; people of color, immigrants and/or multi-racial; women, trans, gender non-conforming, and/or queer; youth; working class; disabled; and long-time residents.
- These organizational leaders have or are forming a strong social justice vision for their organizing efforts that is grounded in their understanding of root causes of oppression.
- The grant is for organizations or organizing within the five boroughs of New York City. (This fund does not currently include the Hudson Valley.)
Strong preference will be given to organizations that:
- Lack access to philanthropy, funding, and capacity building/training opportunities
- Are neighborhood-based and/or organizing residents of the outer boroughs
- Are engaged, or plan to engage in, campaigns that win change through legislative advocacy, shifts in culture/public perception, and/or concrete changes in conditions at the local level
Rapid response grants do not support:
- Travel to conferences
- Budget shortfalls or cash flow issues
- New project ideas (for seed funding, you may apply for a Catalyst Grant)
HOW TO APPLY
Organizations may apply for a rapid response grant at any time. To apply, contact Catherine Eusebio, Program Officer, at email@example.com to schedule an initial phone interview. If you are eligible for a rapid response grant, you will be asked to submit a one-page request.